The Office of the General Counsel serves as legal counsel for Lehigh University. The Office serves its client, the University, by:
• providing legal advice to ensure compliance with legal requirements, and reduce exposure to legal risks;
• representing the University as legal counsel in judicial and governmental proceedings, and advocating and defending its interests in those proceedings;
• serving as a resource for informed decision-making, and creative problem-solving to facilitate the University's pursuit of its non-profit missions of teaching, research, and service;
• educating University personnel about legal requirements and risks to prevent or reduce liabilities and legal disputes; and
• coordinating the provision of all legal services for the University, whether through the Office or outside law firms, to ensure efficiency, containment of costs, and reliability of service.
In serving the interests of the University, the Office pursues excellence in the quality of services provided to its client, and maintains the highest standards of professional ethics and integrity.